Last weekend, my team and I worked hard and made a movie for the Minneapolis 48 Hour Film Project.
On Friday at Walden Entertainment, we got our assigned Genre, and our city got it's assigned Character, Prop, and Line of Dialogue. Originally we were assigned the Drama genre, but we traded that in for a random Wild Card Genre, so we ended up getting Historical Fiction/Period Piece. We dealt with it.
We stayed up all night on Friday, June 18th, to outline the story, eat junk food, drink caffeine filled drinks, and write the script.
Then after like 20 minutes of sleep, we left at 5:00 AM Saturday morning to go film some scenes. Filming went surprisingly well, except for one scene that we really had to rush, due to poor planning, poor locations, and because we had to rush it a lot (long story). We filmed until about 2 PM on Saturday, but we had plenty of breaks in between scenes. So I had plenty of time to spare for editing. I expected everything to go smoothly.
So I got home at around 3-4 PM on Saturday to start the editing. I had to get all the footage out of the tape and convert them to editable formats. Taking footage out of the tapes and onto the computer happens in real-time. Since I recorded about 40 minutes of footage altogether, it took about 40 minutes to get onto the computer. Then it took another hour and a half to convert all that footage. So I never really got started editing until around 6-7 PM. I edited a full 1080p24 project in Premiere Pro CS3, with 5.1 Surround Sound. Surround Sound mixing is a challenge, but I got through it. I stayed up until about 4 AM editing, then I woke up at around 8 AM on Sunday to keep editing. I finished editing the movie at around noon. Then I spent most of my time after that until 3 PM just fixing the finishing touches, adding credits, and music and stuff like that.
Then the producer stopped by to check up on the editing process and get some papers signed. I figured that I should start rendering.
Rendering went fine, and quick since we had to render in Standard Definition instead of HD. But the real problem came when trying to put the movie on a DVD with Adobe Encore. Encore was being all screwy (I was new to the program), and when I finally got it to burn a DVD, I found out that it only worked on PCs, and not normal DVD players. So I spend hours until around 6 just trying to get a good DVD out. Then I realized I was running out of time, because the deadline was at 7:30. So I decided I would just drop the surround sound, and stop messing with Adobe Encore, and just use Windows DVD Maker, and submit a Quicktime file on a USB flash drive. So I rendered a WMV file and burned it to DVD with Windows DVD Maker, and I rendered a Quicktime file and put it on my USB drive, and rushed back to Walden Entertainment to turn in the movie, and I made it there, by 7:00 sharp.
Here is the trailer!
We got our movie in on time, and I was relieved. I almost died. :)